A 12-year-old boy died and 20 people have been infected in an anthrax outbreak in Russia’s northern Yamalo-Nenets region, the local authorities said. Ninety people have been hospitalised on suspicion of having contracted the disease.
Scientists believe that climate change was the main reason behind the outbreak, as abnormally warm weather caused permafrost melting and exposed an old reindeer corpse infected by anthrax.
Russian emergencies ministry said it has evacuated 238 people, including 132 children, from reindeer herders’ camp close to the site of the outbreak.
The deadly disease, also known in Russia as “Siberian plague”, was last recorded on the Yamal peninsula 75 years ago.
PESTILENCE IN THE BIBLE
- Exodus 5:3 - And they said, The God of the Hebrews hath met with us: let us go, we pray thee, three days’ journey into the desert, and sacrifice unto the LORD our God; lest he fall upon us with pestilence, or with the sword.
- Leviticus 26:25 - And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.
- Numbers 14:12 - I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they.
- Deuteronomy 28:21 - The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.
- 2 Samuel 24:13 - So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days’ pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me.
- 2 Samuel 24:15 - So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.
- 1 Kings 8:37 - If there be in the land famine, if there be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, or if there be caterpillar; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their cities; whatsoever plague, whatsoever sickness there be;