Last year President Obama boasted that the U.S. could destroy North Korea but said they currently posed a “low-level” threat and the humanitarian cost of an attack would be too high
(VERO BEACH, FL) In a provocative Interview which aired last year on “CBS This Morning”, President Obama told host Charlie Rose that America has the ability to respond to Kim Jong-un’s threats with decisive nuclear force, but the fallout of such a response would be disastrous for South Korea.
"But it's not something that lends itself to an easy solution," Mr. Obama said. "We could, obviously, destroy North Korea with our arsenals. But aside from the humanitarian costs of that, they are right next door to our vital ally, Republic of Korea.”
Speaking with Mr. Rose during his trip to Germany, Mr. Obama also said that U.S. forces were currently reanalyzing the strategic positioning of America’s missile defense systems.
"One of the things that we have been doing is spending a lot more time positioning our missile defense systems, so that even as we try to resolve the underlying problem of nuclear development inside of North Korea, we're also setting up a shield that can at least block the relatively low-level threats that they're posing right now," Mr. Obama said.
Mr. Obama’s comments followed North Korea’s fourth nuclear bomb test on Jan. 6, their launch of a long-range rocket on Feb. 7, and a submarine-launched ballistic missile test on April 23.
This week, there have been reports that the Obama administration had been advised by the DIA in 2013 that North Korea had developed the capability to deploy miniaturized nuclear warheads, a key component of a conventional nuclear ICBM.