Iran Threatens Use of Force Over Haj Pilgrimage Dispute

Iran Threatens Use of Force Over Haj Pilgrimage Dispute
Iran Threatens Use of Force Over Haj Pilgrimage Dispute Mecca Governor Prince Khaled al-Faisal speaks during an annual news conference briefing reporters on the conclusion of the main rites of the haj pilgrimage in Mina, near the holy city of Mecca in this file photo dated October 28, 2012.

A senior Saudi official, responding to Iran's criticism of Riyadh's management of the haj pilgrimage, urged Iran to end what he called wrong attitudes toward Arabs and warned it against any use of force in its rivalry with the kingdom.

  • Mecca province governor Prince Khaled al-Faisal, in remarks likely to be seen as a reference to Iran, added that the orderly conduct of the pilgrimage this year "is a response to all the lies and slanders made against the kingdom".
  • The remarks carried by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on Wednesday evening follow an escalating war of words between Shi'ite Muslim Iran and Sunni Saudi Arabia since a crush at the annual haj pilgrimage a year ago in which hundreds of pilgrims, many of them Iranians, died.
  • SPA quoted Prince Khaled as telling journalists his message to the Iranian leadership was "I pray to God Almighty to guide them and to deter them from their transgression and their wrong attitudes toward their fellow Muslim among the Arabs in Iraq, Syria, Yemen and around the world".
  • The Prince also said: "But if they are preparing an army to invade us, we are not easily taken by someone who would make war on us.  When we desire, and with the help of God Almighty, we will deter every aggressor and will never relent in protecting this holy land and our dear country. No one can defile any part from our country if any one of us remains on the face of the earth."

WILL THIS LEAD TO WAR BETWEEN SAUDI ARABIA AND IRAN?

No top Iranian leader has called for war with Saudi Arabia, something neither country wants.

But last year's haj disaster, and the execution in January of dissident Saudi Shi'ite cleric Nimr al-Nimr, triggered months of scathing Iranian criticism of the kingdom.

Riyadh broke off relations with Tehran after its embassy there was attacked by Iranians protesting against Nimr's death. Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards promised "harsh revenge" for Nimr's death.

READ MORE:  SAUDI ARABIA WORKS TO AVOID HAJ MASSACRE REPEAT

Iran blamed the 2015 haj disaster on Saudi incompetence, and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sept. 5 said some of the Iranians who died had been "murdered" by Saudi Arabia. He said Muslims should not let Saudi rulers escape responsibility for "crimes" he said they had committed in Arab conflicts.

Contributed by Mostafa Hashem, Noah Browning; Editing by William Maclean, Robert Birsel - REUTERS

Article by Doc Burkhart, Vice-President, General Manager and co-host of TRUNEWS with Rick Wiles.
Got a news tip? Email us at news@trunews.com
Help support the ministry of TRUNEWS with your one-time or monthly gift of financial support. DONATE NOW!
DOWNLOAD THE TRUNEWS MOBILE APP! CLICK HERE!
  • Get it on Google Play

Donate Today!

Support TRUNEWS to help build a global news network that provides a credible source for world news


We believe Christians need and deserve their own global news network to keep the worldwide Church informed, and to offer Christians a positive alternative to the anti-Christian bigotry of the mainstream news media

You May Also Like

erickstephen [8:51 AM]