- Bubonic plague death in Yumen, China sparks quarantine: Xinhua
- 12 airports in eastern China affected by military drills for one month
- Gaza conflict: Is US pressuring Israel with airport ban?
- BRICS nations could rival US in global influence
- Europe braced for any gas crisis as Russia sanctions escalate
- ‘We will react to NATO build-up’: Putin
- USGS increases earthquake risk along New Madrid Fault
Christianity Made Russia Great World Power – Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday praised the role of Orthodox Christianity in the country’s history and congratulated the heads of the world’s Orthodox churches on the 1025th anniversary of the Christianization of Kievan Rus, a medieval state comprising parts of modern-day Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
“The adoption of Christianity became a turning point in the fate of our fatherland, made it an inseparable part of the Christian civilization and helped it turn into one of the largest world powers,” Putin said in a message addressed to participants of a commemorative celebration on Red Square, the Kremlin reported.
“It is Orthodoxy that gave Russia a powerful impetus for the development and rise of culture and education,” the message says.