- Bird flu pandemic alert: Virus could soon be passed from human to human, warns Cambridge professor
- Plague found in ground squirrel near Boise
- George W. Bush reportedly offered to officiate same-sex wedding
- Marine court-martialed for refusing to remove Bible verse
- Beijing warns US: ‘We will fight back’ as battle of words escalates over South China Sea
- China releases ‘active defence’ military strategy, warns those ‘meddling’ in the South China Sea
- Russia and NATO stage rival air combat exercises
- PLA Navy will have 415 warships in near future: US expert
Christianity Made Russia Great World Power – Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday praised the role of Orthodox Christianity in the country’s history and congratulated the heads of the world’s Orthodox churches on the 1025th anniversary of the Christianization of Kievan Rus, a medieval state comprising parts of modern-day Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
“The adoption of Christianity became a turning point in the fate of our fatherland, made it an inseparable part of the Christian civilization and helped it turn into one of the largest world powers,” Putin said in a message addressed to participants of a commemorative celebration on Red Square, the Kremlin reported.
“It is Orthodoxy that gave Russia a powerful impetus for the development and rise of culture and education,” the message says.