- Russia Warns of Nuclear Response to US Global Strike Program
- Japan mobilizes amphibious military unit, drones to counter China threat over islands
- What? Former Bank of Israel chief is on Obama’s short list for U.S. Federal Reserve No. 2 position
- NSA uses Google cookies to pinpoint targets for hacking
- Biggest winter storm ever to wreck holidays for millions in UK
- Yellowstone supervolcano ‘even more colossal’ than previously thought
- Supervolcanoes Discovered in Utah: Evidence of Some of the Largest Eruptions in Earth’s History
Christianity Made Russia Great World Power – Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday praised the role of Orthodox Christianity in the country’s history and congratulated the heads of the world’s Orthodox churches on the 1025th anniversary of the Christianization of Kievan Rus, a medieval state comprising parts of modern-day Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
“The adoption of Christianity became a turning point in the fate of our fatherland, made it an inseparable part of the Christian civilization and helped it turn into one of the largest world powers,” Putin said in a message addressed to participants of a commemorative celebration on Red Square, the Kremlin reported.
“It is Orthodoxy that gave Russia a powerful impetus for the development and rise of culture and education,” the message says.