- Ebola is MUTATING claim scientists tracking outbreak amid fears virus could go AIRBORNE
- Arizona copes with measles outbreak as Super Bowl nears
- RAF fighter jets intercept Russian military planes over the English Channel
- Gorbachev warns Cold War could heat up to all-out war
- U.S. would welcome Japan air patrols in South China Sea
- Deal with Iran at heart of Argentine prosecutor’s death mystery
- Detainee swapped for Bergdahl suspected of militant activities
Christianity Made Russia Great World Power – Putin
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday praised the role of Orthodox Christianity in the country’s history and congratulated the heads of the world’s Orthodox churches on the 1025th anniversary of the Christianization of Kievan Rus, a medieval state comprising parts of modern-day Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
“The adoption of Christianity became a turning point in the fate of our fatherland, made it an inseparable part of the Christian civilization and helped it turn into one of the largest world powers,” Putin said in a message addressed to participants of a commemorative celebration on Red Square, the Kremlin reported.
“It is Orthodoxy that gave Russia a powerful impetus for the development and rise of culture and education,” the message says.