- Bubonic plague death in Yumen, China sparks quarantine: Xinhua
- 12 airports in eastern China affected by military drills for one month
- Gaza conflict: Is US pressuring Israel with airport ban?
- BRICS nations could rival US in global influence
- Europe braced for any gas crisis as Russia sanctions escalate
- ‘We will react to NATO build-up’: Putin
- USGS increases earthquake risk along New Madrid Fault
FBI seeks source of prostitution, corruption allegations against Sen. Robert Menendez
A pair of FBI agents met on a recent weekday morning with brothers Alfonso “Alfy” and Jose “Pepe” Fanjul in the Palm Beach headquarters of their sugar and real estate empire.
The investigators’ questions struck a discordant note in the Fanjuls’ sunlit offices overlooking a yacht-filled waterway, according to three people familiar with the meeting: Were the brothers or any of their associates familiar with a plot to bring down a United States senator?
Months after the FBI began probing allegations against Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), investigators are looking at whether someone set out to smear him while he was running for reelection last year and then ascending to his new post as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, according to four people briefed on the inquiry.