- Rift widens between Obama, U.S. military over strategy to fight Islamic State
- Senate gives final passage to Obama’s plan for arming Syrian rebels
- West tells Iran it must address nuclear bomb fears
- Pope Francis on ISIS persecution of Christians: ‘We are in World War Three’
- Abbott confirms threat to Parliament House
- UN Proposes Emergency Health Mission as Ebola Cases Double Every 3 Weeks
- Scotland Independence Result: ‘No’ to Win with 54% of Votes
FBI seeks source of prostitution, corruption allegations against Sen. Robert Menendez
A pair of FBI agents met on a recent weekday morning with brothers Alfonso “Alfy” and Jose “Pepe” Fanjul in the Palm Beach headquarters of their sugar and real estate empire.
The investigators’ questions struck a discordant note in the Fanjuls’ sunlit offices overlooking a yacht-filled waterway, according to three people familiar with the meeting: Were the brothers or any of their associates familiar with a plot to bring down a United States senator?
Months after the FBI began probing allegations against Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), investigators are looking at whether someone set out to smear him while he was running for reelection last year and then ascending to his new post as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, according to four people briefed on the inquiry.