- Russian Scientist: World Facing ‘Mini-Ice Age’ Rather Than Global Warming
- Suspicions Run Deep in Iraq That C.I.A. and the Islamic State Are United
- Putin to face icy reception at G20, says US Treasury Secretary
- China, Iran to conduct joint naval drills in the Persian Gulf
- World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola crises
- Deeper Saudi supply cuts needed to sustain high oil prices
- Gay party slammed for ISIS imagery
Florida Police Officer Fired After Calling Trayvon Martin A “Thug” On Facebook
A Florida beach safety officer was fired on Friday after he referred to Trayvon Martin as a “thug” on his personal Facebook page.
Todd Snipes, a beach officer of 15 years who was stationed about 40 minutes from where Trayvon Martin was killed in Sanford, Fla., was initially suspended for the post he made on Facebook last month.
“Another thug gone,” Snipes wrote the night of George Zimmerman’s acquittal. “Pull up your pants and be respectful. Bye bye thug r.i.p.”
In his termination letter, Department of Public Protection Director George Recktenwald wrote that Snipes had “engaged in behavior that threatens the respect and trust of the community and jeopardizes the perception that the department enforces the law fairly, even-handedly and without bias,” according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal.