- Top U.S. court appears on cusp of declaring right to gay marriage
- America’s new LGBT envoy
- War games off UK coast not response to Russia, says NATO
- General: China Space Threat Drives U.S. Space Warfare Buildup
- NSA veteran chief fears crippling cyber-attack on Western energy infrastructure
- Mysterious ‘god’ cloud and lightning appear over Chilean volcano
- Did you hear the one about the Muslim, socialist, Kenyan president? The joke Obama can’t stop telling
Florida Police Officer Fired After Calling Trayvon Martin A “Thug” On Facebook
A Florida beach safety officer was fired on Friday after he referred to Trayvon Martin as a “thug” on his personal Facebook page.
Todd Snipes, a beach officer of 15 years who was stationed about 40 minutes from where Trayvon Martin was killed in Sanford, Fla., was initially suspended for the post he made on Facebook last month.
“Another thug gone,” Snipes wrote the night of George Zimmerman’s acquittal. “Pull up your pants and be respectful. Bye bye thug r.i.p.”
In his termination letter, Department of Public Protection Director George Recktenwald wrote that Snipes had “engaged in behavior that threatens the respect and trust of the community and jeopardizes the perception that the department enforces the law fairly, even-handedly and without bias,” according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal.