- Unannounced Test of Strategic Nuclear Weapons Readiness Starts in Russia
- Russia Orders Surprise Test of Central Nuclear Base
- Moscow dismisses NATO allegations that Russia conducts large-scale nuclear drills
- Russian combat jets conduct ‘mock’ attack runs on NATO warships
- Russian bombers deliver strikes at ground targets in war games
- ECB unveils details of trillion-euro stimulus
- Mark Cuban warns the tech bubble is worse than dotcom crash
Is a new Little Ice Age starting in 2013? Snow and ice blanket Wales and Scotland
Elsewhere, homes were battered by torrential rain and gale-force winds.
Shropshire, Dartmoor in Devon, the Pennines in Cumbria, and parts of Wales had up to three inches of snow in the early hours.
Motorists were left struggling as strong winds whipped up blizzards and triggered travel chaos.
In parts of Devon, the winds damaged roofs and felled trees.
Power cuts hit Cornwall on Tuesday night as 65mph gales tore down power lines, plunging about 400 homes into darkness.