- Muslim psycho attacks New York cops with ax
- NYC doctor tests positive for deadly Ebola virus
- Mali authorities report 1st Ebola case as epidemic spreads in W. Africa
- US judge wavers on UN immunity in Haiti cholera case
- Volcano could destroy Japan
- Ottawa gunman told fellow Muslim convert ‘the devil is chasing me’
- FBI warns news outlets that group affiliated with Islamic State is targeting journalists
Is a new Little Ice Age starting in 2013? Snow and ice blanket Wales and Scotland
Elsewhere, homes were battered by torrential rain and gale-force winds.
Shropshire, Dartmoor in Devon, the Pennines in Cumbria, and parts of Wales had up to three inches of snow in the early hours.
Motorists were left struggling as strong winds whipped up blizzards and triggered travel chaos.
In parts of Devon, the winds damaged roofs and felled trees.
Power cuts hit Cornwall on Tuesday night as 65mph gales tore down power lines, plunging about 400 homes into darkness.