- ‘Nothing is beyond our reach,’ National Reconnaissance Office’s new logo claims
- Experts: China And Japan Are Not Going To Back Down From Each Other
- Chinese sovereign fund sells US$5.8bn of Japanese investments in retaliation
- Wider use of Chinese Yuan abroad opens prospects for banks and SMEs
- New Leak: Sweden helps US spy on Russia – Snowden to speak to European Parliament, delegate claims
- Weapons of Last Resort: ECB Considers Extreme Crisis Measures
- Little Ice Age – Scientists predict a century of global cooling
- Ice, Snow and Extreme Cold Across The U.S. – Crops, Cattle, and Logistics Threatened
- Japan‘s tsunami: How clay on the Pacific floor could raise the risk of another mega earthquake
Is Fingerprint Scanning Coming to the iPhone?
Will the next iPhone include biometrics? Possibly, as a new beta version of Apple’s iOS software, released Monday for developers, contains fingerprint scanning technology.
Beta 4 of iOS 7 includes code for biometric scanning, according to developers sites. The code, in a folder called BiometricKitUI, handles fingerprint recognition from a left or right thumb placed on an iPhone.
The code also includes a tutorial section containing a description of a photo of a person holding the iPhone with their right hand “while touching the Home button with their thumb.” One obvious use for a fingerprint scanner would be as a replacement for the lock screen code now used.
Almost exactly a year ago, Apple spent $356 million to buy a company called AuthenTec, which provided fingerprint sensor and identity management technology for mobile devices, as well as for governments and networking companies. One of AuthenTec’s customers before the acquisition, interestingly, was Apple’s arch-competitor in the mobile space, Samsung. In regulatory filings related to the acquisition, Apple mentioned it was eager to complete the purchase in order to add fingerprint sensors to its devices.
Code found in a beta version of an operating system does not necessarily mean that the supported feature will appear anytime soon. Apple could be preparing its platform for fingerprint and other identity technologies at a future date. A new iPhone is expected to be released within a few months.