- Saudi National Detained At Fort Sam Houston, Explosives Found In Vehicle
- Evacuations in Cape Verde After Volcano Erupts
- PLA’s JL-2 missile can reach US mainland: report
- Mediterranean naval drills by China are strategic
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip
- Russia says West is seeking regime change
- Pakistan to Have 200 Nuclear Weapons by 2020
Italian Islamist Cell “Planned Attacks in Israel, US, Italy”
Italian police arrested four men on Tuesday, who are suspected of planning terrorist attacks in Italy, the US and Israel, reports Reuters News. One of the arrested men is believed to be a Tunisian former imam at a mosque in the city of Andria, in the southern Italian region of Puglia, where police said the terror cell was based. According to paramilitary police, the men aimed to train terrorists and send them to fight abroad, and are suspected of conspiracy to commit international terrorism and incite racial hatred.
According to investigators, the four men focused their recruitment activities among illegal immigrants, who were subsequently sent to training camps in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and Chechnya. Police described the group as being characterized by “fierce anti-Semitism and anti-Western sentiment” and an aversion to states viewed as enemies in the context of religious war.
Authorities further claimed that at least some of the new recruits to the cell carried out attacks in Iraq.