- NATO says Russian jets, bombers circle Europe in unusual incidents
- Russia Test Fires Bulava Sea-Based Ballistic Missile
- China to buy 5,000 Russian air-to-air missiles
- Pentagon warns employees about Islamic State threats
- NYPD scanning the sky for new terrorism threat
- ISIS directive to Australian recruits fueled DHS security boost
- FBI agents dressed as computer repairmen to collect data in gambling case
Italian Islamist Cell “Planned Attacks in Israel, US, Italy”
Italian police arrested four men on Tuesday, who are suspected of planning terrorist attacks in Italy, the US and Israel, reports Reuters News. One of the arrested men is believed to be a Tunisian former imam at a mosque in the city of Andria, in the southern Italian region of Puglia, where police said the terror cell was based. According to paramilitary police, the men aimed to train terrorists and send them to fight abroad, and are suspected of conspiracy to commit international terrorism and incite racial hatred.
According to investigators, the four men focused their recruitment activities among illegal immigrants, who were subsequently sent to training camps in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and Chechnya. Police described the group as being characterized by “fierce anti-Semitism and anti-Western sentiment” and an aversion to states viewed as enemies in the context of religious war.
Authorities further claimed that at least some of the new recruits to the cell carried out attacks in Iraq.