- Vladimir Putin talks ‘statehood’ for south-eastern Ukraine as Kiev’s ships attacked
- Russia ‘practically in a state of war against Europe’ over Ukraine, EU leaders warn
- Putin’s Trump Card In Ukraine: Winter Is Coming
- Hackers Launch All-Out Assault on Norway’s Oil and Gas Industry
- Border security: Islamist terror attack on U.S. from Mexico imminent
- It was already the worst Ebola outbreak in history. Now it’s moving into Africa’s cities.
- Senegal Ebola case ‘a top priority emergency,’ WHO says
Italian Islamist Cell “Planned Attacks in Israel, US, Italy”
Italian police arrested four men on Tuesday, who are suspected of planning terrorist attacks in Italy, the US and Israel, reports Reuters News. One of the arrested men is believed to be a Tunisian former imam at a mosque in the city of Andria, in the southern Italian region of Puglia, where police said the terror cell was based. According to paramilitary police, the men aimed to train terrorists and send them to fight abroad, and are suspected of conspiracy to commit international terrorism and incite racial hatred.
According to investigators, the four men focused their recruitment activities among illegal immigrants, who were subsequently sent to training camps in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and Chechnya. Police described the group as being characterized by “fierce anti-Semitism and anti-Western sentiment” and an aversion to states viewed as enemies in the context of religious war.
Authorities further claimed that at least some of the new recruits to the cell carried out attacks in Iraq.