- Sir Edward Heath: Four UK police forces investigating child sex abuse claims involving former PM
- ‘Wiccan Ritual Killing’ Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police
- 5th Shocking Video Catches Planned Parenthood Official Selling “Fully Intact” Aborted Babies
- Bush says he misspoke about funding for women’s healthcare
- City of Houston wants to bulldoze one Black church, condemn another
- Netanyahu: Iran deal will bring war, ‘nightmare’ atomic arms race
- Obama Gov’t Considering Intervening in Favor of PA Terrorists
- Greece needs €100bn debt relief as permanent depression looms
- Senate Democrats block effort to defund Planned Parenthood
- LGBT rights: Anti-terror orders should be used against Christian teachers who say same-sex marriage is wrong, says Tory MP
Karzai confirms U.S. gave his national security team millions in payments
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Monday that his national security team has been receiving payments from the U.S. government for the past 10 years.
Karzai confirmed the payments when he was asked about a story published in The New York Times saying the CIA had given the Afghan National Security Council tens of millions of dollars in monthly payments delivered in suitcases, backpacks and plastic shopping bags.
During a news conference in Helsinki, Finland, where he was on an official visit, Karzai said the welcome monthly payments were not a “big amount” but were a “small amount,” although he did not disclose the sums. He said they were used to give assistance to the wounded and sick, to pay rent for housing and for other “operational” purposes.
He said the aid has been “very useful, and we are grateful for it.”