- NSA Whistle-Blower: Obama’s Authority To Label ‘Terrorists’ Is The Same Rule The Nazis Issued In 1933
- Judge Orders DOJ to Provide List of ‘Fast & Furious’ Documents ObamaTried to Shield
- ‘Terrorists’ help U.S. in battle against Islamic State in Iraq
- ISIS offered to swap Foley for ‘Lady al Qaeda’: Terrorists wanted return of MIT-educated neuroscientist who was caught with plans for ‘mass casualty attack’ with a dirty bomb, Ebola, and a chemical weapon ‘that spared children’
- Congressional investigators say Bowe Berghdal swap violated law
- Americans among 12,000 foreign fighters in Syria
- Earthquake riddle as spectacular drone footage reveals giant crack in Mexico
Karzai confirms U.S. gave his national security team millions in payments
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Monday that his national security team has been receiving payments from the U.S. government for the past 10 years.
Karzai confirmed the payments when he was asked about a story published in The New York Times saying the CIA had given the Afghan National Security Council tens of millions of dollars in monthly payments delivered in suitcases, backpacks and plastic shopping bags.
During a news conference in Helsinki, Finland, where he was on an official visit, Karzai said the welcome monthly payments were not a “big amount” but were a “small amount,” although he did not disclose the sums. He said they were used to give assistance to the wounded and sick, to pay rent for housing and for other “operational” purposes.
He said the aid has been “very useful, and we are grateful for it.”