- China explosion: City of Dongying rocked as huge blast rips through chemical factory
- Nazi ‘gold train': Fire engulfs suspected location of vehicle in Poland
- China’s sale of U.S. debt: Safety valve or cause for concern?
- Majority of Russians say US administration ‘extremely hostile toward us’ – poll
- Russian jets in Syrian skies
- EU Explores Contacts With Eurasian Economic Union
- Preparing for a Potential Economic Collapse in October
- China rocked by another fatal chemical plant explosion
- Russia, China kick off active phase of Sea of Japan naval drills
- North Korea mobilises its submarines as one million volunteers pledge to defend nation against South Korea
Merkel, the Red footsoldier: German chancellor under fire over Communist links as image of her in uniform is released
She denies she was close to the Communist rulers in East Germany, where she grew up.
So this 1972 photo of her in military-style uniform has left German Chancellor Angela Merkel ‘not amused’.
Then called Angela Kasner and aged 17, she is shown happily involved in a civil defence exercise under the gaze of an East German officer.
Drills included first aid and preparing for nuclear attack.
All children had to take part if they wanted to go to university, but Mrs Merkel is also alleged to have been a propaganda secretary for the youth movement, the FDJ.
The photo was found by an old schoolfriend, Sonja Felssberg, 58, and handed to a German newspaper.
Her smile is easily recognisable and her forage cap is set at a jaunty angle as she strides along at the High School Hermann Matern in Templin, where she was brought up behind the iron curtain.
Not even illness or a death in the family allowed for the youngsters to skip the martial lessons – they were simply postponed but had to be completed.