- At Swiss palace, intrigue and press questions as Iran deal nears
- Iran Reserves Again Coveted by Big Oil After Decades of Conflict
- Does Iran Have Secret Nukes in North Korea?
- ‘Influx of advanced weapons flowing into Syria, Lebanon unprecedented,’ navy source says
- IDF Sources: ISIS Accumulating Support Near Israel-Jordan Border
- Al-Shabaab video shows civilians being forced into the sea, brutally gunned down and left to rot on the Somali beach
- ISIS uses child soldiers to lead prisoners to beheadings
Nevada’s ‘experiment in the desert’ more popular than ever: Nearly 70,000 gather for weekend of debauchery at Burning Man festival
Burning Man, the annual art, music and everything-else festival currently taking place in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, is the most popular ever than more people already on-site than attended the entire event last year.
The largest outdoor arts festival in North America is in its 27th year, with as many as 68,000 people expected to part-take in partying, debauchery and excess before it all ends for another year on Labor Day
Described as an ‘experimental community,’ it incorporates plenty of partying plus lighting massive fire displays, donning eye-catching costumes and performing passionate dances at sunrise. Organizers stress it’s mostly up to participants to decide what Burning Man is.
Earlier this year the federal government issued a permit for 68,000 people from all over the world to gather at the sold out festival and spend up to a week in the remote desert cut off from much of the outside world.
This year’s event is already the largest ever, organizers said more than 55,000 people had already arrived at Black Rock City at noon on Tuesday. That is almost as many as were present at last year’s event during its peak.
Traditionally only the hard-core burners arrived when the gates opened Monday and a crush of people often referred to as ‘Weekend Warriors’ would show up sometime between Thursday and Saturday, reports NBC Bay Area.
By morning on Wednesday, there were 15 streets circling the temporary city created by attendees and the forecast remains free of dust storms.
Many have been impressed by the size and look of this year’s Man Base, a structure that houses the iconic ‘Man’ figure burned each year near the event’s close.
Inside a flying saucer under the Man is a multi-level structure with zoetropes, a giant chandelier and views of Black Rock City. Slides serve as exits.