- Ebola fears grow as European and Asian countries on alert
- Killer Ebola is a threat to Britain as experts warn virus is worst world has seen
- Airports alert over Ebola: Passengers from Africa who show symptoms will be sent straight to secure isolation units
- Beijing tests anti-satellite missile: Voice of Russia
- Argentina defaults for second time in 13 years according to S&P as debt talks fail
- Global QE ends as China opens second front in bond tapering
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
Obama celebrates Ramadan: ‘Islam has contributed to the character’ of US
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation’s history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”
In remarks before the Iftar dinner, eaten by Muslims after sunset to end the day of fasting, Obama quoted from the Koran, according to a White House pool report. “As the Koran teaches, whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see its results.”
“Muslim-Americans and their good works have helped to build our nation, and we’ve seen the results,” he added.
Obama, who has hosted five Iftar dinners, focused on entrepreneurship during much of his speech.
“Every day, Muslim-Americans are helping to shape the way that we think and the way that we work and the way that we do business,” he said. “And that’s the spirit that we celebrate tonight — the dreamers, the creators whose ideas are pioneering new industries, creating new jobs and unleashing new opportunities for all of us.”