- Western nations want to chain ‘the Russian bear’
- U.S. Weighs Response to Sony Cyberattack, With North Korea Confrontation Possible
- Evidence in Sony hack attack suggests possible involvement by Iran, China or Russia, intel source says
- North Korea Planned Attacks on US Nuclear Plants
- High-level British paedophile ring may be linked to murders, boy’s disappearance 35 years ago
- China Tests ICBM With Multiple Warheads
- Iran to hold major naval drills at end of December
Obama celebrates Ramadan: ‘Islam has contributed to the character’ of US
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation’s history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”
In remarks before the Iftar dinner, eaten by Muslims after sunset to end the day of fasting, Obama quoted from the Koran, according to a White House pool report. “As the Koran teaches, whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see its results.”
“Muslim-Americans and their good works have helped to build our nation, and we’ve seen the results,” he added.
Obama, who has hosted five Iftar dinners, focused on entrepreneurship during much of his speech.
“Every day, Muslim-Americans are helping to shape the way that we think and the way that we work and the way that we do business,” he said. “And that’s the spirit that we celebrate tonight — the dreamers, the creators whose ideas are pioneering new industries, creating new jobs and unleashing new opportunities for all of us.”