- UN launches probe into alleged Israeli crimes in Gaza after 650 deaths
- European airlines extend Ben-Gurion flights ban as Israel mulls diverting plans to Eilat
- Month of PLA drills disrupts skies over eastern China
- Netanyahu said to have offered Lewinsky tapes for Pollard
- MH17 crash: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile system
- Jewish groups praise Obama on LGBT worker rights expansion
- Rep. Jordan to IRS on Lost Emails: ‘You Guys Were Never Going to Tell Us Until We Caught You’
Obama celebrates Ramadan: ‘Islam has contributed to the character’ of US
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation’s history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”
In remarks before the Iftar dinner, eaten by Muslims after sunset to end the day of fasting, Obama quoted from the Koran, according to a White House pool report. “As the Koran teaches, whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see its results.”
“Muslim-Americans and their good works have helped to build our nation, and we’ve seen the results,” he added.
Obama, who has hosted five Iftar dinners, focused on entrepreneurship during much of his speech.
“Every day, Muslim-Americans are helping to shape the way that we think and the way that we work and the way that we do business,” he said. “And that’s the spirit that we celebrate tonight — the dreamers, the creators whose ideas are pioneering new industries, creating new jobs and unleashing new opportunities for all of us.”