- Tom DeLay: Justice Dept. Wants to Legalize 12 ‘Perversions’
- Isis Expansion Along U.S. Borders
- Federal Government to Step up Bird Flu Monitoring This Fall
- Christian bakers fined $135,000 for refusing to make wedding cake for lesbians
- Man inspired by U.S. same-sex marriage ruling now challenging court to allow him to marry second wife
- NSA Spies Can Hack Any Computer in ‘A Few Mouse Clicks’
- The South China Sea is now a ‘core interest’ of Beijing — and that’s a problem for its neighbors
- Greek banks down to €500m in cash reserves as economy crashes
- Images Show Chinese Airstrip on Man-Made Spratly Island Nearly Finished
- What’s Putin’s plan? Russian jet ‘shot flares at Swedish plane
Obama celebrates Ramadan: ‘Islam has contributed to the character’ of US
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation’s history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”
In remarks before the Iftar dinner, eaten by Muslims after sunset to end the day of fasting, Obama quoted from the Koran, according to a White House pool report. “As the Koran teaches, whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see its results.”
“Muslim-Americans and their good works have helped to build our nation, and we’ve seen the results,” he added.
Obama, who has hosted five Iftar dinners, focused on entrepreneurship during much of his speech.
“Every day, Muslim-Americans are helping to shape the way that we think and the way that we work and the way that we do business,” he said. “And that’s the spirit that we celebrate tonight — the dreamers, the creators whose ideas are pioneering new industries, creating new jobs and unleashing new opportunities for all of us.”