- Senate Democrats block effort to defund Planned Parenthood
- LGBT rights: Anti-terror orders should be used against Christian teachers who say same-sex marriage is wrong, says Tory MP
- Nato reports surge in jet interceptions as Russia tensions increase
- Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule
- Beijing played key role in historic UN development plan: envoy
- Puerto Rico triggers historic default as austerity spiral deepens
- Russia Condemns US Plan to Extend Syria Bombing
- Former British PM Edward Heath investigated over child sex claims amid claims of cover-up
- Sharp rise in number of RAF planes scrambled to face down Russian jets revealed
- China, Russia To Hold Joint Naval, Air Drill
Obama celebrates Ramadan: ‘Islam has contributed to the character’ of US
President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation’s history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”
In remarks before the Iftar dinner, eaten by Muslims after sunset to end the day of fasting, Obama quoted from the Koran, according to a White House pool report. “As the Koran teaches, whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see its results.”
“Muslim-Americans and their good works have helped to build our nation, and we’ve seen the results,” he added.
Obama, who has hosted five Iftar dinners, focused on entrepreneurship during much of his speech.
“Every day, Muslim-Americans are helping to shape the way that we think and the way that we work and the way that we do business,” he said. “And that’s the spirit that we celebrate tonight — the dreamers, the creators whose ideas are pioneering new industries, creating new jobs and unleashing new opportunities for all of us.”