- FBI’s facial recognition technology goes fully operational
- Why you should be worried about facial recognition
- Ebola ‘spiralling out of control’
- Sabotage suspected as dozens of children reported dead after measles vaccination in Syria
- ‘This isn’t the beginning, it’s the apocalypse’
- Syria: Israel Helping Golan Rebels, ‘Playing with Fire’
- NZ spied on allies, Greenwald claims
Political Conspiracy Theories: Angela Merkel Is No KGB ‘Sleeper Agent’
For people from the states of the former West Germany, those from the East just can’t be trusted entirely — it’s a latent suspicion people have always had. For anyone who is drilled from childhood on to hide his or her feelings and thoughts, having two faces becomes second nature.
“Disguise and deception are traditional survival strategies that people were forced to use under a dictatorship,” social psychologist Tilman Allert wrote a few days ago in the respected Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in a piece that explored “strategic insincerity” as a way of life.
In other words, we should have known better. Instead, we allowed 16 million potential sleeper agents into the country. Now they are among us. One is already even sitting in the Chancellery.
Yes, let’s not allow ourselves to be deceived by the harmless-seeming façade. Angela Merkel has everything it takes to sneak her way to the top: a great degree of adaptability paired with a high level of intelligence, as well as an almost inexhaustible capacity for patience. For nearly eight years now, she’s been Germany’s leader, and yet she remains an enigma. Even today, we still don’t know what she’s really thinking, what she wants or where she comes from.