- Possible 1.4 million Ebola infections by January 2015 in two countries
- Spirit of insanity? London chefs seek to replicate taste of human flesh
- UN to remove Ebola-infected people from their homes
- World must prepare for ‘Armageddon’-style cyber attack, warns US regulator
- ‘Darkening times': Abbott warning
- U.S. begins airstrikes against ISIS in Syria
- Chaos on Turkey-Syria border as ISIS marches on
Russian Chemicals Arms Supplies to Syria ‘Hogwash’ – Kremlin
The Kremlin chief of staff on Thursday dismissed as “hogwash” accusations that Russia was supplying chemical weapons and technologies to the Syrian government.
“I heard the Pentagon chief saying that we supply chemical weapons to Syria and then correcting himself that no, not weapons but technologies to develop and produce it – well, this is, pardon me, hogwash,” the head of the Russian presidential administration, Sergei Ivanov, told journalists.
Ivanov, who previously headed the governmental commission on non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD), said he was “surprised, if not to say shocked,” to hear the US accusation.
The issue has been repeatedly discussed by the presidents of both Russia and the United States, and “no accusations have ever been voiced against Russia that it contributes to the proliferation of WMDs.”
Speaking in testimony before the US congressional Foreign Affairs Committee, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Wednesday: “There’s no secret that the Assad regime has had chemical weapons, significant stockpiles of chemical weapons.”