- Sir Edward Heath: Four UK police forces investigating child sex abuse claims involving former PM
- ‘Wiccan Ritual Killing’ Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police
- 5th Shocking Video Catches Planned Parenthood Official Selling “Fully Intact” Aborted Babies
- Bush says he misspoke about funding for women’s healthcare
- City of Houston wants to bulldoze one Black church, condemn another
- Netanyahu: Iran deal will bring war, ‘nightmare’ atomic arms race
- Obama Gov’t Considering Intervening in Favor of PA Terrorists
- Greece needs €100bn debt relief as permanent depression looms
- Senate Democrats block effort to defund Planned Parenthood
- LGBT rights: Anti-terror orders should be used against Christian teachers who say same-sex marriage is wrong, says Tory MP
Russian gay parental rights target of new bill
A Russian legislator has proposed a bill that could be used to deny gay parents custody over their children.
The draft bill, published on the State Duma (parliament) website on Thursday, would make the “fact of non-traditional sexual orientation” a basis for denying custody. Other grounds include alcoholism, drug use, and abuse.
The proposal comes in the wake of a bill banning homosexual “propaganda” among minors. Authors of the bill have justified it as a measure aimed at protecting children, and not suppressing the LGBT community.
Alexei Zhuravlev, the author of the new bill, referred to the earlier law, passed in June, and said that homosexual “propaganda” had to be banned not only in the public space “but also in the family.”
The law sparked international outrage and led to calls for a boycott of the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi.