- FBI’s facial recognition technology goes fully operational
- Why you should be worried about facial recognition
- Ebola ‘spiralling out of control’
- Sabotage suspected as dozens of children reported dead after measles vaccination in Syria
- ‘This isn’t the beginning, it’s the apocalypse’
- Syria: Israel Helping Golan Rebels, ‘Playing with Fire’
- NZ spied on allies, Greenwald claims
Secret Service kept tabs on Reddit co-founder Swartz before his suicide, documents show
U.S. Secret Service documents show that the agency played a key role in the investigation of free-information activist Aaron Swartz and watched his case closely until he committed suicide.
Swartz died in New York City in January as he faced trial on charges he hacked into a Massachusetts Institute of Technology archive of scholarly articles with the aim of making the information freely available.
The documents, released under the Freedom of Information Act, show the Secret Service field office in Boston secured documents and electronic devices seized during a search of Swartz’s home and research office at Harvard University.