- At Swiss palace, intrigue and press questions as Iran deal nears
- Iran Reserves Again Coveted by Big Oil After Decades of Conflict
- Does Iran Have Secret Nukes in North Korea?
- ‘Influx of advanced weapons flowing into Syria, Lebanon unprecedented,’ navy source says
- IDF Sources: ISIS Accumulating Support Near Israel-Jordan Border
- Al-Shabaab video shows civilians being forced into the sea, brutally gunned down and left to rot on the Somali beach
- ISIS uses child soldiers to lead prisoners to beheadings
See the ultra-goofy François Hollande photo that provoked web glee, unsuccessful attempts at suppression
An unflattering picture of French president François Hollande has provoked an internet storm in France after being leaked and shared on Twitter.
In the image — which the main French news agency AFP attempted to withdraw from circulation — the French president grins in front of a blackboard on which is written: “Today, it’s back to school.”
The photograph was taken on Tuesday during Mr. Hollande’s visit to a school in Denain, northern France, to coincide with the start of term for hundreds of thousands of French pupils. It appears he was pulling a funny face to make the pupils laugh.
The original image came with the caption: “During a visit to the school Denain Michelet, September 3, 2013, Francois Hollande smiles, chairing a panel discussion on the reform of school timetables established by the government.”
AFP initially posted the picture on its website as available for downloading but later issued a “mandatory kill” notice, meaning the photo must not be used.
Despite the ban, the image quickly hit social media sites and provoked a flurry of comments. One wrote: “Here is the new official photo of Francois Hollande. Please put up in all town halls!”