- NSA Whistle-Blower: Obama’s Authority To Label ‘Terrorists’ Is The Same Rule The Nazis Issued In 1933
- Judge Orders DOJ to Provide List of ‘Fast & Furious’ Documents Obama Tried to Shield
- ‘Terrorists’ help U.S. in battle against Islamic State in Iraq
- ISIS offered to swap Foley for ‘Lady al Qaeda’: Terrorists wanted return of MIT-educated neuroscientist who was caught with plans for ‘mass casualty attack’ with a dirty bomb, Ebola, and a chemical weapon ‘that spared children’
- Congressional investigators say Bowe Berghdal swap violated law
- Americans among 12,000 foreign fighters in Syria
- Earthquake riddle as spectacular drone footage reveals giant crack in Mexico
This Powerful Spy Software Is Being Abused By Governments Around The World
A new report presents overwhelming evidence that sophisticated spying software is being abused by governments around the world.
The findings by The Citizen Lab, a digital research laboratory at the University of Toronto, detail how the software marketed to track criminals is being used against dissidents and human rights activists.
Titled “For Their Eyes Only: The Commercialization of Digital Spying,” the report focuses on a type of surveillance software called FinSpy that can remotely monitor webmail and social networks in real time as well as collect encrypted data and communications of unsuspecting targets.
In December 2011 WikiLeaks began publishing FinFisher brochures and videos, which tout the software as enabling governments to monitor targets who “regularly change location, use encrypted and anonymous communication channels, and reside in foreign countries.”
Another remarkable thing about the FinSpy, Jean Marc Manach of OWNI notes, is that it can take control of any major operating system while none of the top 40 antivirus systems can recognize it.