- Hagel orders military medical team to train, get ready for quick response to more Ebola cases in US
- The Ebola ‘bio-weapon’ conspiracy
- Communists look to give Democrats boost
- Sweden hunting for Russian submarine in its waters
- Netanyahu warns world powers: A nuclear threshold Iran is a bigger threat than ISIS
- Church should not fear change, says Pope after synod backlash against softening of stance towards homosexuality
- Expert says deadly eruption in Japan shook up volcano, making nuclear reactors unsafe
UK could have a lesbian monarch, says Lord Norman Tebbit
THE debate in Britain over legalising gay marriage has taken a surreal turn after a senior politician said it could result in a lesbian queen giving birth to an heir by artificial insemination.
Norman Tebbit, a member of Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservative party who sits in the House of the Lords, also joked that it could see him marry his own son to escape inheritance tax.
Lord Tebbit’s intervention comes amid fevered debate in parliament over a bill to legalise same-sex marriage, which is opposed by many of Mr Cameron’s Conservative members of parliament.
“I said to a minister I know ‘have you thought this through?’ Because you’re doing the law of succession, too,” Lord Tebbit, 82, told The Big Issue magazine.
“When we have a queen who is a lesbian and she marries another lady and then decides she would like to have a child and someone donates sperm and she gives birth to a child, is that child heir to the throne?
“It’s like one of my colleagues said – we’ve got to make these same-sex marriages available to all.
“It would lift my worries about inheritance tax because maybe I’d be allowed to marry my son. Why not? Why shouldn’t a mother marry her daughter? Why shouldn’t two elderly sisters living together marry each other?”