- Benghazi terror attack probe to subpoena for access to Hillary Clinton emails from private server
- U.S. ambassador injured in attack by armed assailant
- Russian President Vladimir Putin trying to destroy NATO
- Russia accuses United States of plot to oust President Vladimir Putin via opposition aid
- US hoped to cause mass protests in Russia by sanctions
- Russia is Covering Up the killing of Boris Nemtsov, claims former aide to Vladimir Putin
- Merkel warns Russia of new sanctions if Ukraine ceasefire violated
UK could have a lesbian monarch, says Lord Norman Tebbit
THE debate in Britain over legalising gay marriage has taken a surreal turn after a senior politician said it could result in a lesbian queen giving birth to an heir by artificial insemination.
Norman Tebbit, a member of Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservative party who sits in the House of the Lords, also joked that it could see him marry his own son to escape inheritance tax.
Lord Tebbit’s intervention comes amid fevered debate in parliament over a bill to legalise same-sex marriage, which is opposed by many of Mr Cameron’s Conservative members of parliament.
“I said to a minister I know ‘have you thought this through?’ Because you’re doing the law of succession, too,” Lord Tebbit, 82, told The Big Issue magazine.
“When we have a queen who is a lesbian and she marries another lady and then decides she would like to have a child and someone donates sperm and she gives birth to a child, is that child heir to the throne?
“It’s like one of my colleagues said – we’ve got to make these same-sex marriages available to all.
“It would lift my worries about inheritance tax because maybe I’d be allowed to marry my son. Why not? Why shouldn’t a mother marry her daughter? Why shouldn’t two elderly sisters living together marry each other?”