- NSA Whistle-Blower: Obama’s Authority To Label ‘Terrorists’ Is The Same Rule The Nazis Issued In 1933
- Judge Orders DOJ to Provide List of ‘Fast & Furious’ Documents Obama Tried to Shield
- ‘Terrorists’ help U.S. in battle against Islamic State in Iraq
- ISIS offered to swap Foley for ‘Lady al Qaeda’: Terrorists wanted return of MIT-educated neuroscientist who was caught with plans for ‘mass casualty attack’ with a dirty bomb, Ebola, and a chemical weapon ‘that spared children’
- Congressional investigators say Bowe Berghdal swap violated law
- Americans among 12,000 foreign fighters in Syria
- Earthquake riddle as spectacular drone footage reveals giant crack in Mexico
US employee: Politics wasn’t behind leak about immigration status of Obama’s aunt
A Homeland Security Department employee has acknowledged that he disclosed to The Associated Press days before the 2008 election that President Barack Obama’s aunt was living in the U.S. illegally and said he did not reveal the information for political reasons.
The Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office of Professional Responsibility released a 20-page report from August 2010 about its investigation in the case. The Huffington Post reported on it Thursday.
The report said the employee, whose name was censored in publicly released versions of the report, told internal investigators that he confirmed Zeituni Onyango’s immigration status to the AP “because regardless of political affiliation … I think the American public has a right to know.”
Citing two separate unnamed sources, including one identified only as a federal law enforcement official, the AP disclosed in October 2008 that Onyango, a Kenya native, had been instructed to leave the United States in 2004 by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request.