- China Intervened Today to Shore Up Stocks Ahead of Military Parade
- China Sells U.S. Treasuries to Support Yuan
- Ukraine debt crisis: Russia refuses to accept terms as Kiev finally secures debt write-off deal with creditors
- Central bankers at Jackson Hole search for answers on low inflation
- Nasdaq 100 is set to plunge 29%: Technician
- French intelligence fears Islamist ‘missile strike on airliner’ or 9/11-style attack
- ISIS drives toward Turkey in new offensive
- China’s Stocks Slump as Rate Cut Fails to Stop $5 Trillion Rout
- China central bank injects $22B into economy
- Stasi: Donald Trump blames China for biggest theft in U.S. history
‘US officials say Obama ready to arm Syria rebels’
US President Barack Obama is preparing to send lethal arms to the opponents of Syrian President Bashar Assad, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday amid growing evidence that the regime has used chemical weapons.
The Post quoted the officials as saying political negotiations to oust Assad from power remains Obama’s preferred option, but supplying weapons to rebels is one of several options under consideration.
According to the report, the Obama administration is pressuring Russian President Vladimir Putin to drop his support for Assad amid the reports he used chemical weapons. Obama is expected to make a decision on arming the opposition in the coming weeks, prior to a June meeting with Putin, the Post quoted officials as saying.
“We’re clearly on an upward trajectory,” the Post quoted a senior official as saying. “We’ve moved over to assistance that has a direct military purpose.”
Obama, the officials reportedly said, is considering a range of options including establishing a no fly zone in Syria.