- Ebola fears grow as European and Asian countries on alert
- Killer Ebola is a threat to Britain as experts warn virus is worst world has seen
- Airports alert over Ebola: Passengers from Africa who show symptoms will be sent straight to secure isolation units
- Beijing tests anti-satellite missile: Voice of Russia
- Argentina defaults for second time in 13 years according to S&P as debt talks fail
- Global QE ends as China opens second front in bond tapering
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
‘US officials say Obama ready to arm Syria rebels’
US President Barack Obama is preparing to send lethal arms to the opponents of Syrian President Bashar Assad, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday amid growing evidence that the regime has used chemical weapons.
The Post quoted the officials as saying political negotiations to oust Assad from power remains Obama’s preferred option, but supplying weapons to rebels is one of several options under consideration.
According to the report, the Obama administration is pressuring Russian President Vladimir Putin to drop his support for Assad amid the reports he used chemical weapons. Obama is expected to make a decision on arming the opposition in the coming weeks, prior to a June meeting with Putin, the Post quoted officials as saying.
“We’re clearly on an upward trajectory,” the Post quoted a senior official as saying. “We’ve moved over to assistance that has a direct military purpose.”
Obama, the officials reportedly said, is considering a range of options including establishing a no fly zone in Syria.