- U.S. passports on verge of elimination?
- DEA Considered spying on vehicles at gun shows for database in 2009
- Republican politician calls for measure to study feasibility of biometrics in NM election polls
- CSE tracks millions of downloads daily: Snowden documents
- IS operative confesses to getting funds via US
- EMP blast plot sends former Los Alamos nuclear scientist to prison
- ‘Obama ARMY’ Opposing Netanyahu
US orders embassy workers out of Beirut ahead of possible Syria strike
The United States has withdrawn all non-emergency embassy workers and their families from Beirut and warned Americans against travel to Lebanon amid looming military strikes on Syria, the State Department said Friday.
It said the decision had been taken “due to potential threats to U.S. Mission facilities and personnel,” and comes amid tension in the region over possible U.S.-led action.
“Given the current situation in Syria and the region, as well as potential threats to U.S. Government facilities and personnel, we are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution to protect our employees and their families, and local employees and visitors to our facilities,” a statement said.
“We will continue to assess the situation and to adjust our security posture accordingly.”
It also gave U.S. Embassy workers based in south-east Turkey the option to leave voluntarily.
Beirut’s main airport is still open and commercial flights out are still available. However, the State Department warned that “should violence erupt suddenly…access to borders, airports, roads, and seaports can be interrupted with little or no warning.”
“U.S. citizens in Lebanon should monitor ongoing political and security developments in Syria, as this may impact the security situation in Lebanon,” it said, referring to the possibility of military intervention.
The State Department on Thursday issued a warning against all non-essential travel for U.S. citizens in Iraq because of “ongoing security concerns”, including “kidnapping and terrorist violence.”