- Saudis block OPEC output cut, sending oil price plunging
- Russia’s Most Powerful Oil Official Says Oil Could Fall Below $60 In The Next Few Months
- Oil falls as Opec tests US shale industry
- Without passing a single law, Obama crafts bold environmental plan
- US responsible for two-thirds of all military conflicts – Russia’s top brass
- Venezuelan MP says ‘Zionists,’ Bush family financed Hitler Read more: Venezuelan MP says ‘Zionists,’ Bush family financed Hitler
- Alleged plot included bombing Arch, killing St. Louis County prosecutor, Ferguson chief
- Number of Ebola cases nears 16,000 as Sierra Leone loses ground
- Rate My Hospital Experimental Ebola vaccine passes 1st hurdle in U.S.
- Bubonic Plague Spreading Through Madagascar
US rules Morsi’s ouster not ‘coup'; country braces for clashes
Egypt’s army threatened on Thursday to shoot those who use violence in a stark warning before what both sides expect will be a bloody street showdown between Islamists and opponents of deposed President Mohamed Morsi.
Meanwhile, the Obama administration told lawmakers Thursday that it will not declare Egypt’s government overthrow a coup, US officials said, allowing the United States to continue providing $1.5 billion in annual military and economic aid to the Arab world’s most populous country.
Egypt’s army has summoned Egyptians into the streets on Friday in an intended turning point in its confrontation with followers of Morsi, the elected leader the generals removed on July 3.
An army official said the military had set Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood an ultimatum, giving it until Saturday to sign up to a plan for political reconciliation which it has so far spurned.
The Muslim Brotherhood, which has maintained a street vigil for a month with thousands of supporters demanding Morsi’s reinstatement, has called its own crowds out for counter-demonstrations across Egypt in a “day to remove the coup”
Both sides have dramatically escalated rhetoric before Friday’s demonstrations. The Brotherhood accused the army of pushing the nation towards civil war and committing a crime worse than destroying Islam’s holiest site.