- Hagel orders military medical team to train, get ready for quick response to more Ebola cases in US
- The Ebola ‘bio-weapon’ conspiracy
- Communists look to give Democrats boost
- Sweden hunting for Russian submarine in its waters
- Netanyahu warns world powers: A nuclear threshold Iran is a bigger threat than ISIS
- Church should not fear change, says Pope after synod backlash against softening of stance towards homosexuality
- Expert says deadly eruption in Japan shook up volcano, making nuclear reactors unsafe
White House to Congress: Help Israel, Bomb Syria
The administration of Barack Obama is convincing congressmen to support a strike against Syria by saying that it will help protect Israel, reports Politico.
“Israel’s enemies, including Iran and the terrorist group Hezbollah, could be emboldened if Congress fails to approve action against the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad, senior administration officials said Saturday,” it reported.
Secretary of State John Kerry also referred to Israel repeatedly as he appeared on all five major Sunday morning news shows — as well as comparing Assad to Adolf Hitler.
“I think the stakes of upholding the international standard of behavior that has been in place since 1925, after World War I, that only Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein have breached that in time of war since then, and now Assad joins them, I think to contemplate that the Congress of the United States would turn its back on Israel, on Jordan, on Turkey, on our allies in the region, turn its back on innocent Syrian people who have been slaughtered by this gas and those who yet may be subject to an attack, … I can’t contemplate that the Congress would turn its back on all of that responsibility and the fact that we would have in fact granted impunity to a ruthless dictator to continue to gas his people,” Kerry told “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace.
President Obama referred to Israel in his Rose Garden address, saying that leaving the use of chemical weapons by Assad “endangers our friends and our partners along Syria’s borders, including Israel, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon and Iraq.” He repeated this message on Sunday, too.