Trump Focuses on ISIS Defeat in Response to Pence

Trump Focuses on ISIS Defeat in Response to Pence
Trump Focuses on ISIS Defeat in Response to Pence

Republican Donald Trump publicly broke with his running mate, Mike Pence, on how to deal with the civil war in Syria in comments during Sunday's U.S. presidential debate that exposed further tensions within their campaign, at least in the opinion of commentators.

  • "He and I haven’t spoken, and I disagree,” Trump said in response to a question from a moderator
  • This was related to comments by Pence that the United States should be ready to use force against Syrian military targets under the command of President Bashar al-Assad.
  • "I believe we have to get ISIS. We have to worry about ISIS," the Republican presidential nominee said in his debate with Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, referring to Islamic State, the insurgent group fighting Assad’s forces.

(TRUNEWS St. Louis) - Pence in his debate last week with Clinton's vice presidential running mate, Tim Kaine, appeared to break ranks with Trump, when he denounced Russian President Vladimir Putin for his interference in Syria's civil war and support for Assad.

"The small and bullying leader of Russia is now dictating terms to the United States,” Pence said.

READ MORE: PENCE SHOWS NEOCON ROOTS IN VP DEBATE

Russian warplanes have been striking Islamic State positions in Syria in support of Assad's government.

Clinton has criticized Trump, who has praised Putin, as being too cozy with the Russian leader.

PENCE RESPONDS WITH GLOWING ENDORSEMENT

In spite of the live correction during the debate, Pence offered continued glowing endorsements of the candidate.  After the debate on Sunday, Pence tweeted:

Congrats to my running mate @realDonaldTrump on a big debate win!" adding he was "proud to stand with you."

Trump's campaign has been dealing with a variety of political attacks just a month before the Nov. 8 election. A flood of Republicans withdrew their support for the brash New York businessman and former reality TV star over a newly uncovered 2005 videotape in which he made sexually aggressive comments about women.

In an unusual move, Pence issued a statement on Saturday critical of Trump's words on the tape, saying on Twitter that he "cannot defend them."

"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump," the Indiana governor said.

PENCE NOT DROPPING OUT OF VEEP RACE

Before the debate on Sunday, however, a source close to Pence dismissed talk among some political analysts that he might bolt the ticket in the uproar over Trump's comments.

"Absolutely not," the source told Reuters.

Reuters reporting by Steve Holland; Editing by Peter Cooney

Article by Doc Burkhart, Vice-President, General Manager and co-host of TRUNEWS with Rick Wiles
Got a news tip? Email us at news@trunews.com
Help support the ministry of TRUNEWS with your one-time or monthly gift of financial support. DONATE NOW!
DOWNLOAD THE TRUNEWS MOBILE APP! CLICK HERE!
  • Get it on Google Play

Donate Today!

Support TRUNEWS to help build a global news network that provides a credible source for world news


We believe Christians need and deserve their own global news network to keep the worldwide Church informed, and to offer Christians a positive alternative to the anti-Christian bigotry of the mainstream news media

You May Also Like